The Beginners Guide to Devotionals
I love to hear others talk about what God has done in their lives. Devotionals are a significant source of inspiration and knowledge and are a way to learn who God is through story.
I read devotionals to learn who God is through the stories of others and how God has worked in their lives. Whether it’s a daily quiet time in the morning or a quick devotional before bed, I read to know God better.
Learning how our stories intersect with the stories in the Bible is a way for us to connect with God.
What is a Devotional?
A devotional is a short story where the author shares their experiences in a way that helps us learn who God is by showing how He worked in their lives. A good devotional will always have a Bible passage with a similar story.
A misconception in reading devotionals is that we can take the author’s words and apply them to our situations. But remember that even though we may relate to the story being shared, the truth learned from their experience may not be a truth we apply to ourselves.
The story is a good starting point for learning who God is, but we must study the passage for ourselves to see what God is saying to us through His story.
How to Get Started with Devotionals
Adding devotionals to our lives has greater meaning when we see how they teach us about Jesus and the ways we can follow Him. Finding a Bible with a translation that is easy to read and understand will help in learning about Jesus.
A good devotional for a new believer is one that is easy to read and understand, with stories that are relatable and inspiring. A devotional should include Bible verses that help explain the devotional story and its lesson.
We want to be specific with the devotionals we read so we learn the truth about Jesus. Once we have chosen our favorite Bible (my favorite translation is the ESV), then we just need to find a devotional.
There are all kinds of devotionals and picking one will be a matter of preference. But if you need some guidance to get started, here are some of my favorites:
- In Touch Daily Readings.
- Word of life One Year–Interactive Daily Devotional.
- Daily bread.
- Girlfriends in the Word.
- One good thing.
Some on the list are free, and some cost a little, but all have played a big part in helping me learn about God and how to follow Jesus.
Tips for Success in Devotionals
Here are some tips to follow when adding devotionals to your daily routine:
- Find a translation of the Bible that is easy to read and understand
- Start your day by reading a devotional
- Allow yourself time to rest and be in communion with Jesus through story and study
- Be patient as you learn about Jesus and who He is in your life
- Share your journey with others who will support and encourage you
The Last Thing to Know About Devotionals
Devotions are stories that make people feel inspired to do better in their lives by showing us what Jesus did and how He taught His lessons through parables that included life lessons.
Find a devotional today so you can learn to rest in Him and rise above!
Common Questions About Devotionals
What is a good devotional?
There is no one best devotional, as everyone’s needs and preferences vary. However, a good devotional should be easy to read and understand, with stories that are relatable and inspiring.
Why do we read devotionals?
- Devotionals offer inspiration through devotional stories by using true stories, parables, and lessons from the Bible to show us what the devotions story is about.
- Devotionals are stories that make people feel inspired to do better in their lives by showing us what Jesus did and how He taught His lessons through parables that included life lessons.
- Devotionals help explain biblical concepts, events, or truths
- People read devotionals because they want to know more about biblical concepts or events
- Devotionals help inspire our own lives to become better for God’s glory
Are morning devotions important?
Morning devotions are important because they offer a time of reflection and prayer that can help set the tone for the day. Morning devotions provide an opportunity to read Scripture and learn more about Jesus.
How long is a devotional?
There is no set length for a devotional. However, most stories are short, with around 5-10 minutes of reading time. This makes them perfect for morning devotions, or for anytime you need a quick break to reflect on God’s Word.
How do you do morning devotions?
One way to do morning devotions is to read a devotional story, which offers inspiration and understanding through relatable stories from the Bible. Praying and reading Scripture are also important aspects of morning devotions.